Haunted Honeymoon

NBC has announced that they have charged PUSHING UP DAISES creator Bryan Fuller to pen a pilot for their remake of the original 1960’s classic series THE MUNSTERS. NBC plans to make the show a “darker version” of the original campy sitcom to show “another side” of the family and what it is like to live in their world.

Image owned by Getty Images

The original show ran from 1964-1966 and then a a spin-off show entitled The Munsters Today ran from 1987 until 1991. The planned remake will be based on the 1964 version. Not much is being told as to when we can expect to see the new episode but it definitely has fans buzzing about the possible great and/or blasphemous qualities the show may have.

Courtesy of Freewebs.com

So here is your chance to tell us and the world what YOU think. Should the MUNSTERS be remade and what do you think can be made better about the show or what are you worried that they will screw up? Also, if you were tasked with casting the remake, which of your favorite actors would you put into certain parts? Leave your comments in the comment section below!

This entry was posted in Column, Dai Of The Dead and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Also, if you like following updates on industry Horror News..
Make sure to subscribe to our RSS Feed!

About Dai Green

DaiDai Green is a contributor to HorrorNews.net. She created the column "Dai of The Dead"

Connect with me on Google+

6 Responses to FANS WEIGH IN: Do you think the new MUNSTERS remake will be any good? Good idea or bad idea?

1. meleestormbringer says:

Bad idea bad idea bad idea bad idea bad idea bad idea bad idea

And If I was hired to work on the re-make, I would quit. I would rather write jungles for fast food commercials than be responsible for destroying this iconic show with “a darker version”. I’ve been saying for a while now that there needs to be an intervention for these people who think they can make everything better by making it darker – Tim Burton is first FYI. And after him, I’m hiring a van and going after these yahoos.

I hate re-makes as it is, and most of the ones that have been made have always proved me right by being crap in a hat. Some things need to be left well enough alone. The entire original cast has passed on with the exception of Butch Patrick, who has spent his entire adulthood trying to re-claim his lost youth. Let this sleeping dog alone, folks. When/if this thing happens, we will all wish it never had.

And did I mention this re-make was a bad idea?

2. Dai Green says:

Lol! I think you may have mentioned that you thought it was a bad idea. Not sure if anyone caught it, though. ;)

You aren’t a fan of Tim Burton’s remakes> Which film has upset you so much about him?

3. dearpockets says:

I don’t really know if it’s a good idea or not. The way programming is going shows aren’t really getting a fair shake. To have the show on air and do something it’s going to have to move a develop characters very quickly.
    It doesn’t sound like the greatest idea, especially if they are going to try and make it darker….I would assume that’s for the kids, but they won’t get down with that program. I’m almost certain of that. Kids go out and want to be out. You won’t find one self respecting kid (between the ages of 14-18) home on a Friday or Saturday night, which is when the network would most likely air it.
    Tim Burton’s name is mention above, he should have nothing to do with this. He is kind of a goof ball and too many people let him slide on things he has said and made for far too long.
    This remake could do something for a season or two but I really don’t see it.
    On an administrative note, now that I think of it, this isn’t really Horror….but it falls in one of its sub genres.
    More about Tim Burton, if needed. I love talking about that guy.

4. Dai Green says:

The original show was coined a “horror” program. :) I loved the show and still watch past episodes and the only thing horror about it is the characters. They are supposed to make this more of a horror genre show from what I have read. I am thinking that they are looking for the numbers that An American Ghost Story is getting and hoping to recreate it along with giving it an “automatic” audience.

For the record, I am a huge TB fan girl. I love that man, But that is a personal opinion of course. lol ;)

5. dearpockets says:

Dai,
    I figured as much about the show. I knew that it was coined as “horror” but I think it’s fine to label it as such. I feel that there is an audience for the show, I am hoping that the final product is an excellent one.
    As far as Tim Burton, I really used to enjoy his work and I did a bunch of reading up on him and was amazed with his thoughts and opinions on things. I even dated a girl on the strength of TB, she noticed I was reading a book by him (The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories [hardcover]) and struck up a conversation. One thing lead to another and we were an item, she was die hard over him and who knows I would still be dating her if I lived in Arizona still…..well maybe she worked in a weird profession and, that’s not the topic or the idea I want to get across though….
    there was a small period were a rumor that TB would be directing a super hero film, which would have been really cool and very interesting. As this news developed it was also rumored that Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, & others) was being looked at as well. Apparently it went from the studios deciding on Kevin Smith and that TB lost out. Tim Burton rips on Kevin Smith (and it’s his right if he feels like it) in the NY Post, saying a bunch of things that didn’t make sense….he’s an adult and never reads comics and whatever else, the interesting thing to me was why would he even be into the idea of doing a movie like this without having any sort of like towards the comic itself.
    That is what started it for me, and I had to reevaluate my position in my full support of him. Granted I imagine him like some of the bands I have toured with nice guy (and in this case) bad thoughts and ideas.

6. Dixie says:

Wow, have no clue where my original comment went. Anyway, I generally hate remakes tro begin with and have an issue with making this “darker”. Darker just seems like a catch phrase that actually means we are going produce a piece of fluff and leech of the original’s name