For those of you in the UK, the fine folks over at Arrow Video are releasing a painstakingly restored version of the Lucio Fulci classic, Zombie Flesh Eaters to Blu-ray and DVD on December 3rd.
This film with many aliases, known here in America as Zombie, in its native Italy as Zombie 2 due to George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead titled as Zombie over there, this was an unofficial sequel to that film, and as Zombie Flesh Eaters. It is being called one of Arrow Video’s biggest restoration projects ever.
Available as a Limited Edition SteelBook (complete with limited edition artwork), Limited Edition Slipbox (with 4 alternate artworks – available exclusively from arrowfilms.co.uk), and as a standard edition Blu-ray, a complete list of the special features included in these highly anticipated Zombie Flesh Eaters releases is as follows:
• A brand new high definition restoration of the original negative with optional English and Italian opening titles
• Optional English SDH subtitles for English audio / a new English subtitles translation for Italian audio
• Optional original, restored Italian and English Mono 2.0 audio
• Audio commentary with screenwriter Elisa Briganti, moderated by Calum Waddell
• Audio commentary with Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
• UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
• “ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR” – Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy – ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
• “FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM” – Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) plus many more share memories of the genesis of corpse -crunching cinema – from Romero’s early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors.
• “THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO DE ROSSI” – The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats – and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks – including ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II.
• “ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS – FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN” – Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay.
• Trailers and TV spots
• Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower, a new interview with star Olga Karlatos by Calum Waddell, a history of Zombie Flesh Eaters and the BBFC by Craig Lapper , one of the board’s senior examiners, and extracts of the original ‘Nightmare Island’ 1978 script including unfilmed, alternate, and more gory sequences as well as a Lucio Fulci CV compiled by Jay Slater.
For more information, check out Arrow Video’s official website